Mar 22, 2015

My breakup letter err… my love letter to Cognizant

Dear Cognizant,

Our relationship dates back to third year of my college life.

College days: It is human tendency at times to do things without reason. Likewise, without really thinking on what I’m good at, I just took a course in Engineering during my graduation hoping that everything would fall in place. However, while I was in my third year, I simply had no idea what I was going to do further. Thank God, I was sane at least to choose a reputed institution that had placements. Having said that, my only hope was to get placed into a software industry. Adding further to my angst, there was only one organization that entrusted in us – Biotechnology graduates and it was none other than you.

As I was one among the top ten in my class, you were so generous that you did not even ask me to take the aptitude test and I was directly made to sit in the interview. Moreover at the interview, I had no clue if you were so partial recruiting me in less than fifteen minutes because I don’t think my smartness reflected on my face. Nevertheless, being recruited into a reputed organization, I was able to walk in front of the crowd with my head held high. You know what! – That day I called to each and every number in my address book and shared the Happy news with every person I knew.

Career: I could not imagine how my life would have been if I was not recruited at the first place. You provided me with solid platform to improve on something that I felt never existed. I’m more than happy to admit that I didn’t even know the basics of computers during my initial days, but you named me as ‘software engineer’ and made me learn things in a steady phase.

Standard of living and dream to travel: My standard of living moved from average to fair because of you. Without owing money to third parties, I was able to perform my sister’s wedding with the sum you paid for my work. Since my childhood, I had an obsession for flights and dream to travel. That dream became true when I hopped into my first flight and travelled to another country outside of India for the very first time. It all happened because of you.

Personal growth: You had your office located away from my home and it made me to travel in train for more than three hours a day which in turn helped me to read the newspaper daily. That transformed me into a better individual and it also had a great impact on my communication. Hence, if you were not there I would have never known that I can communicate effectively and write interestingly. Adding on to that, I carried out the tasks assigned at office in the day time and used the leisure time left in the night to read, write and to do things that interest me. It gave me peace of mind and satisfaction to start the next day afresh.

Internal blogs and webinars: You induced my creativity by making me read and contribute towards the internal blogs. My self-belief stood at its peak whenever I got appreciated for my post. You also taught me through the webinars on how to be independent, how to be self-conscious and health conscious, how to manage one’s personal life, how to live at peace, etc.

Infrastructure and entertainment:  At times I feel mesmerized looking at the ‘huge’ building where I work. The security and safety features are just awesome. The admins carry out their tasks in the given time and maintain the facilities in a great manner. And I love travelling in the late night cabs with its lively music station turned on. Whenever I felt tired, there were carom and table tennis in all floors to rejuvenate me. On a lighter side, you not only provided parking space to the highly expensive attractive cars and bikes but also to my less expensive not-so-beautiful dusty rusty bicycle.

Inner voice and self-belief: Though at times I was occupied with strenuous work, you provided me the much needed breathing space to relax and listen to my increasing inner voice which led me to believe in myself that I can survive wherever I go. It’s because of you that I learnt ‘time’ is more precious than money and how to maintain work life balance by effectively managing the given time. It’s you who taught me to stimulate my grey cells to think different, act different and be different. I’m unsure if my attitude added value to you but it surely did to me. On a lighter side, you were also responsible for turning half of my black hair into grey. I’ll deal with you personally to resolve this.

Thanks for fine tuning me into perfection at work and transforming me into a better individual in life. You surrounded my way with a bunch of roses though there were some thorns along the way. However, I was happy looking at the roses strewn on me. The greatest of all, you helped me win my bread and butter. Having said all these, you mean a lot to me and I still have got millions of reasons to stick with you. Nevertheless, I have got a few ‘strong’ reasons to move away, but please never and ever come to a conclusion that I’m moving away just for the simple reason that I could make more money. It’s above and beyond that. The first and foremost, I’m moving away not because I’m unsatisfied with you but because I’m completely satisfied with you. A child being in the womb perfectly in its comfort zone for ten months jumps out through the uterus, not because it wants to ditch its mother but just because it wants to see for itself the world outside of its comfort zone. Similarly, I would like to see for myself the world outside of Cognizant, to be even more precise the world outside of my own comfort zone. Above all, I needed a change that would help me skyrocket beyond my limits. (Though hard, it’s always better to have one’s intentions high)

I’m what I’m because of you. Thanks for the trust you had on me. In spite of being cognizant of the fact, “You should love your work and not your company”, I fell in love with you, ‘Cognizant’ unconditionally. That said, with heavy heart and tear filled eyes, I would also like to say that one last word, ‘Goodbye.’ I hope I don’t weep feeling nostalgic on my last working day ‘of my office’ err… ‘at your office’.

With everlasting love,
Kannappan Ramanathan.

Last but not the least, thanks to my colleagues and friends for staying along with me in my paths of joy and sorrow. If you are not there I could never imagine surviving in this software world. Thanks for teaching me from scratch of switching on the system to developing a script in UNIX. I’m so grateful and thankful to you. And I’m sorry if I have unintentionally hurt you with my words or deeds.

Please stay in touch.
Email: kannappanramanathan@gmail.com
Phone US: +1-623-332-0341
Phone India: +91-99-412-654-31
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kannappan.ramanathan
Blog: http://biokanz.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Care First will also miss you Kannappan!! Best of luck in your new adventures!!

Valerie.

kannappan said...

I feel so happy to hear from you Valerie. Thanks for visiting and as well as for your wishes. I'll miss you and our team. I'll also greatly miss your impeccable English.